Bert Lochs

I am a professional trumpet player, composer of both jazz and classical pieces for small and large ensembles alike and a teacher. I am leader/initiator of two trio's: Trio Bert Lochs and Lochs/Balthaus/Herskedal and I play in the Guus Tangelder Bigband, Pieter Basts E.S.P and the Jasper Somsen Group. With my trio's I made some very well received CD's and I played at the North Sea Jazz Festival and a lot of Dutch and German venues. I teach at home and at the music school of Alphen a/d Rijn. One of my main skills is teaching the Balanced Embouchure method. A method of trumpet pedagogue Jeff Smiley. I discovered it in 2002 and it helped me play a LOT better, and it completely turned around my view of how to play and teach the trumpet.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

rest-home for brass

A former student of mine, Han Savelkoel, has a beautiful site with pictures and info of Dutch and Belgian brass instruments, plus some oddities. Once in a while I visit this site and I can really feel and smell these dear, old horns. I started on a Schenkelaars flugelhorn when I was 8 years old, exactly the same horn that Han has a picture of.

A sentimental yourney for me and maybe other brass players, too. I know that he is always looking for new stuff and tips and information about the horns on his site, so take a peak and enjoy.

What is also very nice, is that in maybe hundred years ago, Holland and Belgium had a fine and acknowledged brass instrument builders culture. The last one-First Brass-closed not so long ago, but there is fresh blood, and he is getting famous very quickly: Hub van Laar. He continues the tradition that once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment