Bert Lochs

I am a professional trumpet player, composer of both jazz and classical pieces for small and large ensembles alike and a teacher. I am leader/initiator of two trio's: Trio Bert Lochs and Lochs/Balthaus/Herskedal and I play in the Guus Tangelder Bigband, Pieter Basts E.S.P and the Jasper Somsen Group. With my trio's I made some very well received CD's and I played at the North Sea Jazz Festival and a lot of Dutch and German venues. I teach at home and at the music school of Alphen a/d Rijn. One of my main skills is teaching the Balanced Embouchure method. A method of trumpet pedagogue Jeff Smiley. I discovered it in 2002 and it helped me play a LOT better, and it completely turned around my view of how to play and teach the trumpet.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Next step towards a new CD

Today I am finally making the next step for the new CD from Trio Bert Lochs featuring jazz singer Lydia van Dam. We already recorded the CD at two live performances in the theatres of Boxmeer and Emmeloord. We shifted out the best takes some time ago, and today I am going to the guitar players house in Cologne to edit the recordings. Not that there is so much to edit. They are all live recordings, there is a lot of crosstalk between every instrument and the singer, so, not much that can be done about small or larger mistakes. Not that I mind. I think we played pretty good, and shouldn't a live recording be a representation of how we sound live? So, yes, there are some little flaws here and there, but if you listen to recordings of the great masters, that can just be the thing that makes those recordings stand out. Their honesty and purity of the moment. Isn't that what jazz is all about?

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment