Bert Lochs

I am a professional trumpet player, composer of both jazz and classical pieces for small and large ensembles alike and a teacher. I am leader/initiator of two trio's: Trio Bert Lochs and Lochs/Balthaus/Herskedal and I play in the Guus Tangelder Bigband, Pieter Basts E.S.P and the Jasper Somsen Group. With my trio's I made some very well received CD's and I played at the North Sea Jazz Festival and a lot of Dutch and German venues. I teach at home and at the music school of Alphen a/d Rijn. One of my main skills is teaching the Balanced Embouchure method. A method of trumpet pedagogue Jeff Smiley. I discovered it in 2002 and it helped me play a LOT better, and it completely turned around my view of how to play and teach the trumpet.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Left wing hobby

Yes, I will admit it, I have a left wing (politically) hobby, or even worse: a left wing profession. I make music! I play an instrument. I compose, and listen to music (although I think that is considered more right wing). For people from abroad who don't know what is happening in Holland at the moment: stay away and wait a couple of election rounds. The government-to-be is extremely right wing, islamofobic and not democratic. They think that culture: music, art and dance, is not important. They think people that practice this are parasites that live off the money of hard working people. I don't know if they know that it is hard work to be an artist (certainly in such an environment!), but anyway, they want to cut subsidies to zero and leave it to the free market. I don't think that is a good idea.
Even worse than that is their ignorance of the social reality of this and many other countries. The world is quickly becoming a village, and they just ignore that. Keeping foreigners out, condemning people ground on their religion and origin.
I fear that we just have to go through this phase, I just wanted to say it just once: I didn't vote for this government, and I don't agree with what they stand for. And I know that a lot of people agree with me, so I hope that the rest of the world forgives us this stupidity. This will go by in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment