Bert Lochs

I am a professional trumpet player, composer of both jazz and classical pieces for small and large ensembles alike and a teacher. I am leader/initiator of two trio's: Trio Bert Lochs and Lochs/Balthaus/Herskedal and I play in the Guus Tangelder Bigband, Pieter Basts E.S.P and the Jasper Somsen Group. With my trio's I made some very well received CD's and I played at the North Sea Jazz Festival and a lot of Dutch and German venues. I teach at home and at the music school of Alphen a/d Rijn. One of my main skills is teaching the Balanced Embouchure method. A method of trumpet pedagogue Jeff Smiley. I discovered it in 2002 and it helped me play a LOT better, and it completely turned around my view of how to play and teach the trumpet.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Old love

Today I have an informal gig in a nice jazzclub: Artishock in Soest. I was cleaning up the attic of my house and saw the gigbag of my old Couesnon flugelhorn. I decided to check it before putting it back, but when I played it, it was like meeting an old friend. I simply love the sound of this French lady. It is so warm and lovely, and it didn't play as bad as I thought. The valves rattle a bit, but still do their job. And playing it was actually a pleasure. The sound is somewhat smaller then my Van Laar B2, but it felt quite good. If I don't have to step on the gas then I guess this flugel is as good as any. Soundwise it is the best. I bought it from my former teacher Ack van Rooijen when I was still a student of his. The story is that this was a prototype that Couesnon made for him. There are two different types of waterkeys on the instrument. He told me that he wanted one on the first valve, too, and this looks different than the other two, indeed.
Anyway, this is one instrument I will never sell. It's like coming home after a great and long journey. I will play it tonight, and see how it plays in a real playing situation. I am actually looking forward to it.

This is a commercial picture of me playing my Couesnon. It is a nice shiny horn. I had it revised a couple of years ago, and it was compeletely stripped and newly lacquered.

Maybe I will write something about another love of mine, the Constellation, but that is for later.

2 comments:

  1. Hoi Bert,

    leuk hè, zo'n blog maken! Ziet er te gek uit!
    Misschien tot zaterdag in de Toonzaal?

    Groet,
    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
  2. He Angeline, wat alert, zeg! Is inderdaad wel leuk, een beetje kletsen over van alles en nog wat, hehe. Ik ga eens op jouw blog kijken. Misschien tot zaterdag. Groetjes!

    ReplyDelete