Bert Lochs

I am a professional trumpet player, composer of both jazz and classical pieces for small and large ensembles alike and a teacher. I am leader/initiator of two trio's: Trio Bert Lochs and Lochs/Balthaus/Herskedal and I play in the Guus Tangelder Bigband, Pieter Basts E.S.P and the Jasper Somsen Group. With my trio's I made some very well received CD's and I played at the North Sea Jazz Festival and a lot of Dutch and German venues. I teach at home and at the music school of Alphen a/d Rijn. One of my main skills is teaching the Balanced Embouchure method. A method of trumpet pedagogue Jeff Smiley. I discovered it in 2002 and it helped me play a LOT better, and it completely turned around my view of how to play and teach the trumpet.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On networking

I went to a Dutch networking event for jazz musicians. This is not something I particularly like to do. I want to play the trumpet and play with my bands. And that is exactly why I have to go to these gatherings. To meet the people that have the stages, and to meet the musicians to play my music.
One of the big dilemma's is, that I am a good trumpet player but a lousy networker. I owe it to my art and talent to make the best of it and try to get gigs. But the talent that is needed to get those gigs, is the talent to convince people to book you without playing one note. And I don't have that talent.
I had a conversation with a filmmaker whom we had already contacted about making a registration of one of our concerts. At a certain point he asked me if I liked doing an interview and mixing this with footage of the concert, and I said that I didn't really like that, because I want to show and let hear the music, not me talking. He didn't understand, and he said that the audience wants me to talk about my music. I really don't get that. Why should I talk about my music, instead of playing it? That is the second dilemma. If you deal with your audience, which is of course an important network you have to dedicate yourself to, what is it they want from you? I guessed it was hearing me play my music, but when you are at a networking event, or mingling with your audience after a concert, apparently they want you to talk about your music, which in a way, I find stupid. What can I say about my music that cannot be heard when I play it?
Music is a totally abstract art, which goes beyond language. That is the power of it. I cannot say in words what my music can express, that is probably one of the reasons I make music.
Anyway, I will try to find a way to deal with these dilemma's. I am not an unfriendly person to talk to, I can be convincing when I believe in something and I've learned to take care of business. So there is a chance that the networking I do is not doomed to fail, but it will never be a thing I do very naturally. I'd rather be on stage, playing my music for people that want to hear it, and if they don't want to hear it, I, myself, want to play and hear it. That is why I started to play in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment