Bert Lochs

I am a professional trumpet player, composer of both jazz and classical pieces for small and large ensembles alike and a teacher. I am leader/initiator of two trio's: Trio Bert Lochs and Lochs/Balthaus/Herskedal and I play in the Guus Tangelder Bigband, Pieter Basts E.S.P and the Jasper Somsen Group. With my trio's I made some very well received CD's and I played at the North Sea Jazz Festival and a lot of Dutch and German venues. I teach at home and at the music school of Alphen a/d Rijn. One of my main skills is teaching the Balanced Embouchure method. A method of trumpet pedagogue Jeff Smiley. I discovered it in 2002 and it helped me play a LOT better, and it completely turned around my view of how to play and teach the trumpet.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas music

Since I am a teacher on a music school, it is impossible to ignore music for the festive season. In Holland there is another phenomenon called Sinterklaas (yes, that sounds a lot like Santa Claus, but it is another person. I am told that he was a Turkish bishop from Myra, living several hundreds of years ago. On his birthday, the 5th of december, he and his helpers bring gifts and a lot of candy to the children) and there are a lot of Sinterklaas-songs. For beginners these are nice to play, because every child knows them, so they are easy to learn and the kids are eager to play them. After that comes Christmas, and of course there are a lot of christmas songs. I especially like the English carols and the American musical kind.
I wanted to organize a special christmas recital for my pupils this year, so I went looking for some new music. I found a very nice book by De Haske. Festive Christmas for trumpet. This is a set of very good pieces, not all acknowledged christmas music, but very good for the occasion. There is a CD included on which top trumpeter Frits Damrow plays all the pieces so you can listen how to play them, and the book comes with the piano/organ parts and accompaniment only, on the CD. For the rest I was a bit dissapointed. I wanted some duets, trio's or quartets to make a few ensembles, but I couldn't find much original stuff. That surprised me, and it made me think of writing some myself.
Some years ago De Haske published some books with quartets for trumpet that I wrote. They appeared to suit for saxophone, clarinet and flute as well, and it became a very usable and popular series of quartets. They sell all over the world. Once I saw a Canadian girl play a piece of one of these books on Youtube! That was weird, hehe. Anyway, I decided to try and write some christmas quartets in this fashion. A lot of people asked me if  I was going to write more quartets, and yes I am going to do that. I asked De Haske if they want to publish these again, but since they are taken over by Hal Leonard, it has gotten a bit harder, but I will try anyway. If they don't publish, I want to try and sell the pieces through my website, but I am not really sure how to do that.
The first of these quartets for christmas is ready, and I think it works very well. Work in progress. But if you are interested, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment