Bert Lochs

I am a professional trumpet player, composer of both jazz and classical pieces for small and large ensembles alike and a teacher. I am leader/initiator of two trio's: Trio Bert Lochs and Lochs/Balthaus/Herskedal and I play in the Guus Tangelder Bigband, Pieter Basts E.S.P and the Jasper Somsen Group. With my trio's I made some very well received CD's and I played at the North Sea Jazz Festival and a lot of Dutch and German venues. I teach at home and at the music school of Alphen a/d Rijn. One of my main skills is teaching the Balanced Embouchure method. A method of trumpet pedagogue Jeff Smiley. I discovered it in 2002 and it helped me play a LOT better, and it completely turned around my view of how to play and teach the trumpet.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Why this blog?



The reason for this blog is that I think there are some people in this world, that could be interested in what I do, write and teach. I want to reach out to those people and try and get to talk to them and learn from each other. 
Maybe there are people who just like to read what is is like to be a pro player in The Netherlands, for those I hope to write some insightful stories about allday life as a trumpetplayer.
I know that there are people interested in my music. Maybe they want to know how I do that, what my inspiration comes from, or what I think of when writing music (honestly, I don't know the answer to that, but I can search my soul and maybe come up with something useful to other aspiring writers). 
Then there is a group of people that want to know about my teaching methods. I am one of a growing group of Balanced Embouchure teachers. I discovered this method in 2002, and it turned around the way I look upon playing and teaching the trumpet. 
Finally, I really love 'trumpet talk'. Everything related to this piece of brass tubing (of which Dizzy Gillespie said something like: there it lies in its velvet case, ready to fuck you up, hahahaha) has my deepest interest. I love to discuss mouthpieces, embouchure, trumpets, leadpipes (although not my forte), brands, gadgets and new literature and teaching methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment